Saturday, January 7, 2012

Guest Blogger Mathilde Watson

Good morning! Please welcome my friend and fellow author Mathilde Watson! She's going to talk to us about her latest release, and she's bravely answered the infamous Rick Reed questions! Not only that, but she's brought prizes!  Yes, prizes!  In other words - we're having a contest!  Woot! Two people will win a copy of the Rob Williams' film Roleplay. All you have to do is comment, either here or on Mathilde's blog, and be sure to leave your email address. Simple enough, right?

Okay! Mathilde, let's get comfortable in the kitchen, I'll brew us some tea, you go ahead and answer those pesky questions!











The Questions
1)      You’re marooned on a small island with one person and one item of your choice—who is that person and what item do you have?
Well, I’m not stupid. If I were marooned on an island I’d want someone with me who both knows how to ‘rough it’ and make things happen and is also fun to be with—so I’d bring my little brother along. The guy is awesome. And an Eagle Scout. My one item would be a big metal bowl, because seriously? Everything else can be improvised.
2)      Which musical would you say best exemplifies your life – and which character in that musical are you?
Gene Kelly made a movie version of a musical a long time ago called IT’S ALWAYS FAIR WEATHER. It was about three war buddies with big dreams who go their separate ways when peace is declared with a promise to get together for a reunion in 10 years. One of the characters has become a big businessman, successful, but always away and has no time for his family. Another has opened a small diner, but fancies himself a big, fancy restaurateur.  The third has done nothing with his life. He has wasted his life over the 10 years that have passed and suddenly realizes what a fool he’s been after their reunion.
That’s me. In the 10 years since I’ve graduated high school I haven’t accomplished much of anything- but being reunited with my best friend inspired me to go after my dreams no matter the cost. “Could it be, I like myself?!” Yeah. Great movie- you should check it out!
3)      Take these three words and give me a 100 word or less scenario using them:  inconvenience, tiresome, abbreviate
Okay- here we go.
Picking up a hitch-hiker along on the way during a cross-country road trip proved to be a real inconvenience. The guy is a tiresome prick, a law school drop-out hippie wannabe who is constantly texting on his cellphone and who even speaks in abbreviation- WTF? He actually responds to his own verbal jokes by saying-out loud- R-O-F-L!
4)      You’ve just been let loose in the world of fiction, with permission to do anyone you want. Who do you fuck first and why?
Seriously? Who could resist Dr. Frank-N-Furter? Just look at him. Do I need to explain? :D
5)      What is your idea of how to spend romantic time with your significant other?
Honestly, I have no idea. I’d like to say I don’t know because I’m single again, but really? That’s probably WHY I’m single. Again. :D
6)      When you start a new story, do you begin with a character, or a plot?
Normally I start with a character. They show up in my head and we talk, become friends. And sooner or later we get into an argument and a story is born… the struggle between their own identity and the one I desperately wanted to assign to them.
7)      If they were to make the story of your life into a movie, who should play you?
The only actor who could possibly do ME justice is Christopher Walken. Or maybe William Shatner could pull it off. Possibly.
8)      Who’s your favorite horror villain and why?
I don’t know if ALICE IN WONDERLAND qualifies as horror or not-or if this character is actually a villain- but The Cheshire Cat scares the crap out of me. I mean, He/She/It has no moral compass and is only interested in its own amusement. And with that kind of power? That creature has starred in many of my nightmares.
9)      Do you have an historical crush and if so, who is it?
Mulan. That chick served in the military for 12 years and moved up the ranks to command an army- all the while successfully convincing everyone around her that she was a man- a strong, fierce man and a force to be reckoned with.
10)   Is there a story that you’d like to tell but you think the world isn’t ready to receive it?
My worry isn’t that ‘the world isn’t ready to receive it,’ but that I’m not ready to share it. I have a manuscript I started back in high school that I add to regularly and edit constantly… but the idea of submitting that particular piece of work to a publisher terrifies me.

Excerpt from Play Along 

Thursday, July 29, 2010.
"Good evening, sir, and welcome to the Grand Chancellor Hotel." The perky redhead smiled at Mark from behind the check-in counter in the extravagant hotel lobby. "Do you have a reservation with us?"
"Yes, I do," Mark said. "It's under—"
Two men emerged from a door off to the side of the lobby, one issuing orders that drowned out Mark's words, "Beverly, Mr Stallings here is going to need one of the conference rooms from October 7th through the 10th. Could you take care of it for me? Oh, and be sure to reserve twenty rooms under his name, as well."
Mark froze at the sound of that voice. He watched, dumbstruck, as the men shook hands and the younger of the two headed for the exit while the other approached the counter.
The girl behind the desk began typing furiously, an impatient frown marring her freckled face. "Yes, of course. Just one moment, sir. I was about to get this gentleman here checked in. What was your name, sir?"
Mark had no time to answer. The businessman turned and looked at him, recognition immediately lighting in his eyes. "Holy shit. Mark Nelson!"
Mark looked down at the familiar face of Nathan Marshall and tried to remember how to breathe. Nate was still stunning, the same blond hair and piercing blue eyes, the same firm athletic build filling out a pair of slacks and a clinging, white dress shirt. Mark found himself suddenly embraced by his former lover in a macho hug, Nate slapping his back harder than necessary. The man hadn't changed at all.
"Good to see you again, Nate."
Nate stepped back and looked him over, his eyes raking over Mark's body like a caress, and Mark's knees nearly gave out under him.
"God Mark, you're fucking huge! Looking good!" Nate reached out and squeezed the muscles in his arm and Mark's face heated in a pleased but embarrassed blush. He'd been awkward and gangly in his youth, a high metabolism keeping his six foot five inch frame thin and almost gaunt. He'd been too clumsy to consider sports, but Ricardo had encouraged him to go to the gym regularly after Nate bailed on him, and as he'd matured it had paid off, allowing him to bulk up and fill out.
"You haven't changed a bit, Nate, not at all. It's great to see you again. It's been too long." Mark covered Nate's hand with his own and smiled fondly at him. He was surprised when a sudden rush of butterflies invaded his stomach. Nate still turned him on as much as he had twenty-five years ago. He hadn't expected that, not at all.
The receptionist cleared her throat and tapped a key card against the counter to get Mark's attention. Her eyes were narrowed, but she smiled as she held the card out to him. "You'll be in room 709, Mr Nelson. Carl can show you the way."
A bored-looking teenager appeared from behind them and reached for Mark's bag. Nate released Mark's arm and grabbed the bag himself, shaking his head at the teenager. "That won't be necessary, Carl. I'll show my friend to his room myself. We have a lot of catching up to do."
Mark nodded his thanks to them both before following Nate to the elevator. He pushed the button for the seventh floor, surreptitiously admiring Nate's reflection as he bent over to set Mark's bag on the floor. The car began to move, and Nate stepped closer, reaching out and brushing imaginary lint off Mark's shirt.
"I knew you would come. You never were able to resist coming for me."
Nate's hand brushed quickly over Mark's groin, and Mark jumped in surprise, caught off guard by the playful grope.
"It's been a long time. I've wondered how you've been, how you've changed. I've missed you." Mark bit his tongue, regretting the words the moment they left his mouth.
Nate grinned back up at him. "Well, I'm very glad you're here."
The doors opened and Nate led him down the hallway. When they reached the room, Nate pulled out a card from his wallet and used it to open Mark's door. "Passkey," he explained as Mark followed him in. Closing the door behind them, Nate held up Mark's bag. "Where do you want this?"
Mark grabbed the handle, unsettled by how nervous he felt about being alone with Nate. "I'll take it." He carried the bag over to the dresser, putting some much needed distance between himself and Nate. He took a deep breath before bending over the bag to unpack his things. His body remembered Nate, and embarrassingly, it still responded to him the way it had when they were together. He needed to get himself back under control before he did or said something stupid.
With his pulse pounding in his ears he didn't hear Nate approach, but a moment later he felt Nate's hands on his shoulders, pushing him down further over the dresser top. Stunned, he stood passive as Nate ground his solid erection against his ass, his hands sliding down Mark's back and grasping his hips.
"Damn, Mark, this brings back memories, seeing you bent over the furniture like this," Nate breathed into his ear, pushing a knee between Mark's thighs and spreading his legs.
Mark closed his eyes and slumped down over his bag, clutching the sides of the dresser. He was so turned on it hurt, memories of his time with Nate flooding his senses. "You have no idea how much I missed this, missed you. Missed having you inside me."
Nate's hand slid around to Mark's fly, opening his pants and closing on Mark's solid erection. "Yeah. You want that now, don't you? You want my dick up your ass, pounding you raw. That's what you came for, isn't it?"
Mark groaned, overwhelmed by the sensations of having Nate pressed against his back, his erection aching painfully as Nate fondled him with rough, hard tugs.
"Aw, fuck, Nate! Fuck!" One of Mark's hands joined Nate's inside his pants. Nate slid his hand down Mark's shaft and grabbed his balls, tugging them sharply before stepping back and smacking him on the ass. Mark stroked himself to the sounds of clinking of metal and rustling of fabric behind him.
"Oh, I intend to buddy. Don't you worry about that."
Mark's legs began to tremble with anticipation, and for an all too brief moment they were kids again, lovers again. With his eyes closed tight and the man he'd been in love with pressed against him, Mark could believe they were back in their apartment twenty-five years earlier, that nothing had changed.
But as his pants slid down around his thighs and the cool air from the hotel room washed over his bare ass, Mark forced his eyes open. Staring back at him from the mirror on top of the dresser, he faced his own reflection, with its gray hairs peppered into his close-cut black hair, the deep lines around his troubled brown eyes. A glint of light sparkled off the edge of Ricardo's watch, reminding Mark that he and Nate weren't kids anymore. They were no longer lovers—or even friends— at this point. They were strangers now, with nothing between them but bad memories.


Things you were wondering about Mathilde Watson:

Mathilde Watson is a work in progress.
I don’t much resemble the girl I was ten years ago.
And ten years from now I guarantee I’ll be someone else again.
And I’m okay with that. I wouldn’t have it any other way.
You see, I can’t stand to be bored, and I hate nothing more than looking in the mirror day after day and having the same old reflection stare back at me, frowning.
So I don’t look anymore.
I live, I laugh, I love and I write and I’m happy.
What else is there?


Thank you so much for joining me today, Mathilde! We really need to do this more often!

Don't forget to leave a comment either here or on Mathilde's blog to get into her contest! And leave your email address!

Until next time, take care!

♥ Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment