Monday, August 29, 2011

Guest Blogger Michael Mandrake

Good morning and happy Monday to one and all! Today I welcome my friend Sharita who is wearing her Michael Mandrake skin today. She's going to talk to us about the importance of a good beta! Why don't you all get settled while she and I grab a quick cuppa? No, on second thought, let's get a cute guy in a thong to bring us drinks in our beach chairs. Yes, that sounds much better. I'll flag him down, you go ahead Sharita.




The Importance of a Great Beta
Michael Mandrake



Greetings fans!

Thanks to Julie for having me here today!

Today, I’d like to share with you how important it is to have a critique partner or beta. Now, some of you say, what’s a beta? Well, it’s a person who critiques and or edits your work before you send it to the publisher. This person, in many instances will call you to the carpet, hopefully nicely and respectful, and spot when your plot is off, when you’ve wrote something entirely silly, and also in some instances, correct your punctuation. Even though all are important, the one that sticks out more is your plot.

Does it make sense? Are you wandering aimlessly in story land and boring the hell out of your reader? If this is the case, the beta is to tell you where this is going.

I’ll admit, I’m a newbie. *waves frantically* I’m okay with that too because in some of my much earlier stories I made some childish mistakes. Why? Because I didn’t have a beta and in a couple of situations, the proofer or editor didn’t catch the error and it made it to print. *bangs head on desk* But hey, it happens.

Now though, I’m very blessed to have a few betas. Some I’ve asked more than most. In the most respectful and kind way, all have told me what I needed to work on and what worked in terms of plot.
I also have a few other authors and friends who’ve read for me and all of them I’ve definitely appreciated the feedback regardless of the tone. Some of them have been tough love which is cool because you really don’t want your beta to stroke you too much. Find the faults, celebrate the good stuff and give pointers. The key, again, is doing it respectfully.

So, you know what it is. Now, authors, tell me what you think? Do you send your stories to a beta? Readers? Do you read for an author? Let me know some positive experiences!

I’d like to thank Julie for having me on today and appreciate her for the help she has given me as well!








Links

The Literary Triad - http://www.thelitriad.com/#!
Michael Mandrake - http://tabooindeed.blogspot.com
Its Raining Men Blog - http://rainingmenamen.blogspot.com

 My newest release, A Second Chance under my pename, Michael Mandrake.




Out Now













Publisher: XOXO Publishing

Author Michael Mandrake

Buylink: XOXO and Amazon

Blurb:
Hesitant to begin a relationship with someone new, two police officers who have lost their partners in the line of duty try to deal with their obvious attraction to one another. Will one of them accept the other’s proposition to start over or remain alone because of their places on the police force?

EXCERPT PG


While we continued to chat, I noticed DeClerc in my peripheral. I couldn’t help but stare at him. I moistened my lips, biting the bottom as he came closer.

Damn…

“Um, hello…” I looked past the chief to take a long gander at Daniel. I stood up, extending my hand. “I’m Farris Beason.”

He accepted. “Daniel Declerc. Nice to meet you.” The handshake was firm, his hands soft like a female.

Don chuckled, “See Beason, if you would’ve been in the right frame of mind you could’ve joined Daniel today.”

While we exchanged smiles, I gawked at the pretty face in front of me. Daniel was even more gorgeous up close. The only distraction was the defect on his finger. Who was lucky enough to call him theirs? I had to find out.

“Pity,” Daniel said with a grin. “Maybe when you’ve recovered from your wild night?” He cocked an eyebrow.

I laughed, “Yeah, um…maybe…”

We’d broken our hand gestures but not our gaze. Maybe he did play for my team, but the question remained, who was he married to?


Thank you so much for being here, Sharita! It's always a pleasure! Oh look,  here comes out waiter!   I think you all will understand if we're going to be distracted for a while. But go ahead and ask questions, leave comments! We're not going anywhere, are we, S?



Thanks for stopping by, don't forget to wave and say hello!




Until next time, take care!



♥ Julie




2 comments:

  1. well JESUS! What a hottie. Can he erm give me a massage? Michael would like one too!

    Thanks for having me hun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure he can! I wouldn't mind massaging his muscle either!

    I would so love to see a Chippendale show!

    Any time, sweetie! ♥

    ReplyDelete