Wednesday, July 26, 2023

Wednesday Briefs: Bad Karma and the Family Plan #82 (17.2)

 Good morning and Happy Hump Day! If it's Wednesday, then it must be time for more flash fiction from the Wednesday Briefers! We're a group of authors who bring you our finest flash fiction every week, 500 to 1000 words, inspired by one of our prompts.

Vinnie and Ethan are on their way to see the unnamable actress. That can't go wrong, can it? See what's going on in this week's chapter of Bad Karma and the Family Plan. Don't forget to visit the other Briefers and see what's up with them. Their links follow my tale! Enjoy!

Bad Karma and the Family Plan #82 (17.2)

I half-expected to find this fancy place had valet parking, but no, that was just an illusion based on my own assumptions. We parked in the circular drive at the front and entered. The young lady at the reception desk exuded serenity as we approached. Maybe it went with the territory. Can’t risk stirring up the patients, right? Of course she recognized Troy right away, and spent ten minutes gushing over him and how she’d seen every one of his movies. He listened to her politely, of course, but I noticed he kept one arm securely around Brendan. Not that he wasn’t openly gay, but sometimes it didn’t hurt to remind his public of that, I guess.

“Oh yes, she’s here,” she replied to his question concerning the wayward actress. “I believe she is expecting you in the solarium. Let me show you the way.” Apparently he’d contacted her to let her know he was coming. Probably a smooth move on his part.

“Thank you very much, Miss…”

“Mandy,” she replied with a blush.

“Miss Mandy,” he repeated with a courtly bow. I had to refrain from rolling my eyes. Troy could be such a ham sometimes.

Troy turned toward Ethan and me. “I’ll text you when it’s safe to come in.”

Ethan nodded. I hoped the solarium wasn’t hard to find as I suspected we would not be offered the same assistance in locating it.

“No worries,” Ethan said as we made ourselves comfortable in two plush blue chairs in the waiting area. “I’m sure we can ask someone for directions.”

Glancing around at our surroundings, I noticed there was a wing on either side of the main entrance, and a long staircase going up. But the building was also modern enough to have elevators,. Old fashioned ones with antique gold gates.

If you didn’t know this was some sort of hospital, you wouldn’t have known that by the people we saw. Not a nurse’s or orderly’s uniform in sight. And not a single person wearing pajamas, even posh ones. All very laid-back and low-key.

“Think she’ll get away with it again?” I asked Ethan. He too was observing the people around us just as carefully as I was.

He glanced at me and shrugged. “I wish I knew, baby. When you have money, you can afford to hire good lawyers. I guess it’ll depend on how she spins her flimsy story of auditioning for some unknown director.”

“Yeah,” I glumly agreed. “She might seem to be twice as crazy for that.” Maybe she didn’t really know, but that just made her delusional. And gullible. Guess you couldn’t fault a person for that.

Ethan leaned in to me, his hand on my leg as he looked into my eyes. For a moment, I worried that something was wrong. Until he said, “Once all this is behind us, maybe you and I should set a date.”

Of course I realized what he was talking about right away. We’d been engaged since Christmas Eve, and wore the matching bands to prove it, but we’d never actually set a date. Most of that was probably my fault. That fear of commitment thing. An open-ended engagement was one thing, but picking an actual date and making actual plans was something else.

But it wasn’t like I didn’t want to marry Ethan. I most certainly did. I needed to get out of my own head. Learn to relax and trust. I did trust Ethan with all my heart. Which he also owned.

“We should do that,” I agreed and was rewarded with a beautiful smile. The kind that I lived for.

Just then Ethan’s phone beeped. He glanced down at it then back at me. “Looks like it’s time to join them.” He raised his brows at me, and I knew what he was thinking without him having to say a word.

“I’ll behave,” I promised.

At least I would try.

 to be continued

Now go see what the other Briefers are up to!

Cia Nordwell


No comments:

Post a Comment