Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Wednesday Briefs: In Pieces #71 (17.4)

Good morning and Happy Hump Day! If it's Wednesday, then it must be time for more flash fiction from the Wednesday Briefers! We're a group of authors who bring you our finest flash fiction every week, 500 to 1000 words, inspired by one of our prompts.

Liza's unexpected appearance has thrown Ben for a loop, and Ryan is trying to figure out what's going on and keep Ben from getting hurt. See what's going on in this week's chapter of In Pieces. Don't forget to visit the other Briefers and see what they've been up to!  Their links follow my tale! Enjoy!


In Pieces #71 (17.4)


“You’ll never lose me,” Ryan insisted. “Please don’t cry, Ben.” Alarmed at this display of emotion, Ryan swiped at the mascara-smeared tears that stained Ben’s cheeks. An ache pierced his heart, an unease he fought hard to quell. This evening had just gone incredibly wrong, but he had a feeling there was worse to come. Cameron’s sudden unexpected appearance, followed by Liza’s, was surely no coincidence. But he had no idea what any of this meant, or why Ben was so upset. Or why he thought he was in danger of losing Ryan.

“Just remember that I love you. I always have and I always will.” Ben seemed to be struggling to pull himself together. He drew long deep breaths through his mouth, while still clinging to Ryan.

“And I love you too,” Ryan replied without hesitation. “Please tell me, what’s the matter? What’s got you so upset? It’s Liza, isn’t it? Her being here?”

Ben nodded, not saying anything.  He glanced away from Ryan for a long moment before finally turning back toward him. “I thought I was free,” he said in a barely audible voice. Ryan had to strain to hear him. “Free to be with you. But she found me anyway. I was a fool to think she wouldn’t. She has the money, she has—“

His words ended abruptly, his focus shifting to something or someone behind Ryan. Ryan slowly rotated, never releasing Ben’s hand, to find Liza standing there, her lifeless eyes glaring at them.

“I want to speak you, Ben. Now.” She didn’t so much as glance in Ryan’s direction, as though she’d dismissed him as of no importance to her.

Damned if he was going to let her intimidate him. He wasn’t a kid any more, and he refused to let her come between him and Ben ever again. “You’re not wanted here, Liza,” he said, surprised at how calm his voice sounded, how strong. “Salvation doesn’t need you. Ben’s doing fine without you. You should probably go. Unless you want to stay and listen and hear how great the band is. Your call.”

“Ryan, I have to go in and start the set.” Ben was rising from the bench. Ryan rose along with him, staying between Ben and Liza. When Liza made no response, he turned toward Ben.

“Your make-up…” Ryan’s ministrations had only gone so far. Ben’s mascara still streaked jaggedly down his cheeks.

“Yeah, I figured. I’ll get Abby to do a quick touch-up. I’ll meet you inside.” He pressed a quick kiss to Ryan’s lips, darted a glance at his mother as he skirted her, headed toward the door, but never spoke a word.

Ryan made to follow Ben, but Liza swiftly stepped in front of him, blocking his path.

“You think I don’t know what you were doing with my son all those years ago?” she fairly hissed. 

“It’s not too late to bring you up on charges. How would you like to be branded as a sex offender? A pedophile? You think your writing career is shit now…” Her dark eyes flashed ominously, her smile laced with cruelty.

“Nothing happened between us.” Ryan was appalled at her accusations. “I never… we never… not then. You’re wrong about us.”

“Oh I know that.” Her laugh was as cruel as her smile. “He was very innocent, my Ben. Very naïve. Everything he knows now, I taught him. But nobody would believe you if I said you molested him. Especially once I produced witnesses.”

What was she talking about? Produce witnesses to something that never happened? Was she insane? Delusional?  What? And what did she mean by she taught him. Taught him what?

“Why can’t you just leave us alone? Do you have to hurt everyone in your life? You hurt Dad and you hurt me when you disappeared like that. And you hurt Ben. He’s a grown man now, and he can make his own decisions. Nothing you say, no threat you make, will keep us apart ever again. So you can just go to hell!” Ryan was surprised to find he’d clenched his fist, as if he intended to strike her. But fighting wasn’t his thing, especially not with a woman. Instead, he circled around her warily, before turning toward the club, anxious to make sure Ben was all right.

“I’m taking back what’s mine.” Her voice followed him. “You’ll never keep Ben. I’ll make sure of that. The truth will send him back to me.”

Ryan never turned, never acknowledged her words. He hurried inside the dance club, his heart hammering inside his chest, his pulse racing. He had to find Ben, had to find…

The lights from the stage flashed, followed by a heavy chord from the keyboard. Too late, they were starting their set. He’d have to wait until they were done.

Feeling more unsettled then he cared to admit, he made his way through the patrons and slid shakily into a seat at the table where Marge still sat.  She gave him a shrewd look.

“Something happen, Ryan?”

Before he had a chance to say a word—not even sure what he would admit to—they were joined by someone else who slid into the seat across from Ryan.

“Well hello, cutie,” Cameron said. “Long time no see.”  

to be continued

Now go see what's up with the other Briefers!






No comments:

Post a Comment