Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Wednesday Briefs: In Pieces #68 (17.1)

Good morning and Happy Hump Day! If it's Wednesday, then it must be time for more flash fiction from the Wednesday Briefers! We're a group of authors who bring you our finest flash fiction every week, 500 to 1000 words, inspired by one of our prompts.

It's been nice having time off with Ben, but now it's back to work. Salvation is playing a dance club, and everything is going well. See what the boys are up to in this week's chapter of Salvation. Don't forget to visit the other Briefers and see what's up with them. Their links follow my tale! Enjoy!

In Pieces #68 (17.1)


Once they reached the dance club, Ryan helped the band to set up, his heart light, his mood upbeat. The name of the venue was Heavens Above, and it was decorated with a stars and planets motif, as well as the astrological signs. The club permitted patrons under twenty-one to enter, but they weren’t allowed to purchase alcohol. The club manager was a pretty black woman who looked to be somewhere around forty. She welcomed them warmly, told them her name was T’Neisha, and to let her know if they needed anything.

Marge secured a table for the two of them, near the stage. Once they were set up, Ben joined them for a few minutes, pulling a chair as close as he could get to Ryan’s. Taking Ryan’s hand in his, he twined their fingers, then raised their joint hands to his lips, kissing the back of Ryan’s hand. Even in the bright lights of the club, his eyes shone with his devotion to Ryan.

All too soon, it was time for the show to begin. Ryan reluctantly released Ben’s hand, but was rewarded when Ben rose and closed the slight gap between them, bending down to lay a serious liplock on Ryan. Nearby customers cheered and catcalled, but there was no malice in their tones.

“See you soon, sexy,” Ben murmured in Ryan’s ear once he’d released his lips. He headed up to the stage, shimmying for Ryan’s benefit, which produced more applause. Ryan heard someone comment, 

“I wish I had a priest like that!” while someone else remarked, “He’s so lucky, what a sexy guy!”

Yes, Ben was definitely that, Ryan acknowledged. And he was all Ryan’s.

“Hey, Ryan, want a drink?”

How bad was it that he’d forgotten Marge was at the table too? He seemed to have tunnel vision whenever Ben was around. Marge wore a huge grin, and he knew she understood his preoccupation with Ben.

“Thanks, not right now,” he said. “I’m good.”

“I know Ben thinks so.” Marge chuckled. “Be right back.” She melted into the crowd, heading toward the bar at the back of the club.

Ryan removed the camera he’d hung around his neck, and began to take photos, being sure to save them in a separate folder he’d named for the venue. 

“Man, you have a great view here.” A voice broke into his reveries. Startled, he turned to see a young girl, maybe fifteen or sixteen, standing beside his table. “Mind if I sit here for a few and watch the band with you? You must really like them a lot, right? Is it okay to take their pictures? Like do you have to get permission or anything?” Not waiting for an answer, she slid into an empty chair, still chattering away. Ryan couldn’t help but stare at her, wondering when she was going to take a breath amid her landslide of words.

“My name’s Lilah, how are you? It’s short for Delilah, but no one ever calls me that. I think my mother got it out of the Bible. You know that Samson and Delilah thing? She thought it might make me good at handling men or something, I dunno. Parents? Who knows what they’re thinking, right?”
She cocked her head and peered at him from behind bright purple eyeglasses. “Are you okay?”

“Um…. Yeah, I’m fine,” he managed to get out. On an impulse, he aimed the camera at her and took a quick picture. Belatedly, he realized maybe he should have asked her permission before he took the photo. “Sorry, was that okay?”

“That all depends, what do you want to do with it? Well, it’s not like I’m naked or anything, not like I ever would, but still, once has to be careful about that sort of thing, you know?”

His blood turned to ice until he saw her smile, and he realized she was joking. That wasn’t something he was used to getting, especially from girls.

“About the pictures,” he hastily interjected while she seemed to be between sentences. “It’s perfectly fine. I’m with the band, you see. I’m supposed to take photos.”

“Oh, cool.” She beamed at him. “What’s your name? I’m Lilah. Oh wait, I said that, didn’t I?” She giggled. “I didn’t know you’re with them. Do you play anything?”

“My name’s Ryan,” he responded. “I’m not a musician, though, I’m a writer. I’m writing a book about the tour.”

“How awesome. So that’s why you’re taking pictures, now I get it. Do you think you’re going to use that picture of me in your book? That would be amazing! I would tell all my friends and they’d be soooo jealous, and I’d make them all buy copies of the book.” She took a deep breath before continuing. “So, who do you like the most in the band? I mean, like who’s your favorite? I bet it’s Aiden, ‘cause he’s just do dreamy. His sister is cute, but he’s cuter. Besides, she’s a girl. Think he might think I’m cute? Oh my goodness, I’d just die if I thought that, but wouldn’t that be so awesome?”

Ryan found it hard to follow all her perambulations, but he did realize she was definitely under age, and he had no idea what Aiden’s type might be. “I honestly couldn’t say,” he managed to slip in when he spotted a slight break in the conversation/monologue.

This girl was definitely high-spirited, he had to give her that. And somewhat distracting, as she’d managed to garner all his attention. But he suspected Ben wouldn’t mind, since it was for the good of the band. But he seriously needed to get back to work.

Just then salvation arrived—no pun intended—in the form of another young girl in a pink Lolita dress. “Lilah, come here, you’ll never guess who just called me?” Both girls squealed then headed off to discuss this new development. Ryan sighed in relief.

to be continued

Now go see what the other Briefers are up to!


No comments:

Post a Comment