Wednesday, January 24, 2024

Wednesday Briefs: Bad Karma and the Family Plan #98 (20.7)

 Good morning and Happy Hump Day! If it's Wednesday, then it must be time for more flash fiction from the Wednesday Briefers! We're a group of authors who bring you our finest flash fiction every week, 500 to 1000 words, inspired by one of our prompts.

Well, all good things must come to an end, and so does our story. Thank you for coming along on this journey with me and the boys. Now let's see what the final word is for Vinnie and Ethan and this book! Don't forget to see what the other Briefers are up to. Their links follow the conclusion of my tale, and next week will see a new story begin! Enjoy!

Bad Karma and the Family Plan #98 (20.7)

“To be honest, that wasn’t very hard. I mean seriously, that woman’s IQ is probably in the single digits. Much like that of her gay bosom buddy, Troy Whatshisface, future AIDS victim.”

“What about you?” Ethan countered, showing remarkable restraint, I thought, when all I wanted to do was plant my fist in that smarmy face. How dare he say that about Troy? “Weren’t you giving it to Eva June’s fiancé? And God knows how many others. Have you been tested lately?”

“I get tested on a regular basis,” Chip came back quickly. “Don’t worry, I won’t infect your little play toy. I just want to show him some sweet sweet loving, that’s all. He needs to know what else is out there in the world besides you. Right, sweet cheeks?” The smile he gave me was horrific. My stomach turned at the sight. Guess I should have moved faster when I had the opportunity. My bad.”

“Let’s get back to business, shall we? You realize your IP address on those emails you exchanged with Caroline is traceable, right? And everything you instructed her to do, laid out to the tiniest detail? Guess you didn’t want to leave anything to chance, did you?”

Chip laughed. “With a birdbrain like that, one can never be too clever.” He turned suddenly toward me. “Tell me, Vinny, how old were you when you had your cherry popped? Were you an early bloomer, or were you waiting for your Prince Charming to arrive on his faithful steed to sweep you away? Shame you didn’t wait a little longer, till I entered your life.”  He slapped the table with his manacled hands, which jingled, as if he’d made the best joke in the world.

Ethan laid a restraining hand on my arm, but it wasn’t necessary. I suddenly saw Chip for the pathetic coward he was, and any power he might have held over me dissolved in that moment. I would never fear this man ever again. He was nothing… less than nothing. And just as clearly, I realized why we were here. We didn’t need Chip to confess, or even explain himself to us. Ethan had brought me here to get the closure I so badly needed. To put the boogey man to rest and take away any power over me he’d once held.

The Florida Mangler was going away for a long long time. Despite his claims to the contrary, I didn’t think he’d ever see the light of day again.

A weight had lifted from my shoulders and from my soul. I began to laugh then, but if Chip thought I was chuckling at his wit, he was sadly mistaken. I glanced at Ethan, who was smiling at me, as if he understood, his beautiful blue eyes shining.

“Chip, you keep telling yourself that,” I said, turning my gaze to Chip. “But don’t worry, I’m sure there are plenty of guys where you’re going who’ll be glad to accommodate you. Although, I’d worry that there might be some who wouldn’t mind being known as the one who took out the Florida Mangler. I mean, when you’re a lifer, you have nowhere else to go, right?”

I took in a deep breath and exhalted it slowly. “Ethan…?”

“Yes, love?”

“I think it’s time we blew this popsicle stand. Nothing to see here.”

“You’re very right about that,” he agreed.

“Have a nice life, Chip,” I said. “And try not to drop the soap in the shower.”

Ethan and I rose at the same time, ignoring the frustrated howls from the prisoner. That’s what he was and what he would always be, from now on. Where he deserved to be. We couldn’t save Eva June, but we did avenge her death.

Ethan knocked on the door, and the guard let us out. I think Chip was yelling something, but I’d tuned him out. Never again would I let him get to me. Stick him with a fork, he’s done.

We walked out of the jail into the bright sunlight and paused to let our eyes adjust.

“Vinny, I’m so proud of you.” Ethan’s warm voice enveloped me like a hug. “I knew you had it in you. Just wanted to make sure you’d be all right.”

I knew he meant the bad dreams, and the way his name had made me almost cringe in terror. No more of that, ever again. “Thank you, Ethan.”

We reached out car and he slid his arms around me, held me close. “For what? I didn’t do anything, you did.”

“For believing in me. And helping me to believe in myself.” I closed the short gap between us and kissed him with all the love in my heart. “I think it’s time to pick up Benny, check out of the motel and head home now. Close this case and put it behind us.”

“You’re absolutely right, Detective Delarosa.” Ethan kissed me softly.

“Not to mention, Detective Thorne, we have to get ready for our new roomies.”

That would be a challenge, but one I was more than happy to face.

The End

 Now go see what's up with the other Briefers!

Cia Nordwell

J Ray Lamb

 


No comments:

Post a Comment