Wednesday, September 13, 2023

Wednesday Briefs: Bad Karma and the Family Plan #86 (18.2)

 Good morning and Happy Hump Day! If it's Wednesday, then it must be time for more flash fiction from the Wednesday Briefers! We're a group of authors who bring you our finest flash fiction every week, 500 to 1000 words, inspired by one of our prompts.

Putting the bad vibes behind them, Vinnie and Ethan's journey continues. They bid farewell to Troy and Brendan and finish their drive to Atlanta with Uncle Benny. What might lie in store for them now? See what's happening in this week's chapter of Bad Karma and the Family Plan. Don't forget to visit the other Briefers and see what's up with them. Their links follow my tale! Enjoy!

Bad Karma and the Family Plan #86 (19.2)

By mutual accord, no mention was made of our visit with the actress during the remainder of our drive to Atlanta. Instead, Troy talked about some of the scripts he’d received lately, including one for a Sci Fi film, something he’d never tried before. His agent felt it was important for Troy to spread his wings so he wouldn’t be typecast, which made sense to me. I found myself interested in the premise of the story, as well as Troy’s character, and thus engrossed was surprised when I looked up to see we’dwe arrived at the Atlanta airport already. We bade farewell to Troy and Brendan, with promises to keep them apprised of what was going on. They said they would let us know if anything happened on their end as well, although short of St. Clair playing true confessions and spilling the beans to her bestie Troy, I couldn’t imagine what that might entail.

C’est la vie. Or should that be C’est la guerre. Right now, I wasn’t exactly sure.

We called Anderson as we drove and told him about our conversation, as well as the odd souvenir that had been left for me. Of course, our boss understood the significance of that. He did a quick check from his end and assured us that the Mangler was right where he belonged. Not a double but the actual Chip. That was good to know, but I wasn’t entirely convinced he had nothing to do with what was going on, and neither was Ethan.

But we weren’t in a position to do anything about it, either, as our current assignment was to keep Uncle Benny safe until he was able to testify in court. We found a decent-looking motel that was close to several restaurants with a variety of cuisines and stocked up on snacks from a nearby convenience store as well as a deck of cards. We would be set for the next couple of days.

But the best laid plans of mice and men… you know how that goes.

The night before the trial was to begin, we received a call from Anderson. Apparently, Connor had decided to accept a plea bargain in return for a lesser sentence and a better prison placement.

Benny breathed a huge sigh of relief at the news. “I’ll be honest, I wasn’t looking forward to testifying,” he admitted. “I mean, I was willing to do it. Still am. But I’m glad it won’t be necessary.” He hugged his nephew, and then me. “This is going to sound strange, I know, but despite everything that’s happened, I’m glad to I got to spend time with the two of you. Reconnect with Ethan and get to know his fiance. I just hope we can stay in touch a lot better now.”

“Absolutely,” Ethan concurred while I readily agreed.

“I’m going to call Maureen and tell her the news, if you don’t mind,” he said.

That sounded like a good idea. Just as I wondered if we should give him his privacy, I heard the embarrassing gurgle of my stomach. Ethan laughed.

“Why don’t we go grab some dinner and bring it back here?” he suggested.

Benny liked that idea, and of course I did too. We made sure the door locked behind us and then drove the short distance to a local bbq restaurant where we requested three orders of burnt ends, French fries, beans, and slaw. That should hold us until morning.

 to be continued

Now go see what's up with the other Briefers!

 

 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment