Wednesday, March 29, 2023

Wednesday Briefs: Bad Karma and the Family Plan #67 (14.2)

 Good morning and Happy Hump Day! If it's Wednesday, then it must be time for more flash fiction from the Wednesday Briefers! We're a group of authors who bring you our finest flash fiction every week, 500 to 1000 words, inspired by one of our prompts.

Things have just gone from bad to worse! Why did that police officer just handcuff Ethan? See what's going on in this week's chapter of Bad Karma and the Family Plan. Don't forget to check on the other Briefers and see what's up with them. Their links follow my tale! Enjoy!

Bad Karma and the Family Plan #67 (14.2)

If this suspicious excuse for an officer of the law thought this was going to fly, he had another think coming! What the hell was going on here? This had to end and it had to end now. Troy grabbed for me just as I was about to launch myself at Jenkins. He wrapped both arms around my chest to hold me in place. Breathing heavily, I glanced around. The others seemed as shocked and perturbed as I was. Even Joey seemed perplexed at these unexpected developments, his mouth wide open and gaping.

The minister was striding toward his son and his son’s captor, his voice booming with ministerial authority. “Please explain what you’re doing with my son, Officer.” I half expected the second officer to hold him back, or at least tell him not to interfere in police business,  but he seemed less than inclined to do anything other than stand in the background, as if striving for invisibility. Which, by the way, was a less than successful endeavor. Only then did I noticed he had his phone out and was clearly recording everything that went down. I didn’t know whether to feel more reassured at this or less.

Carlos and his fellow agents looked just as confused as we were, which further served to confirm that these two were not part of any game plan devised by Anderson.

“Troy, something’s not right here,” I muttered to my “captor”. “What reason do they have for arresting Ethan? I’ve got to do something.” I tried to reach for my weapon. Just as a last resort, naturally. I just wanted to be ready… in case.

“Hang on, Vinny.” Troy didn’t sound concerned at all. As if he had some inkling about what was going on and was more exasperated than anything.

Jenkins opened the back door of the vehicle. I wanted for him to motion Ethan inside. I braced myself to break out of Troy’s grip, if necessary, so I could put the kibosh on this lunacy. But just then Jenkins did something that took me completely by surprise. He turned toward us, and away from Ethan, and took a bow… then another… and another. Almost as if he were accepting some kind of award for doing his duty…

Alarms began to ring inside my head as things began to fall into place. What I was thinking wasn’t possible, was it? I mean, the very idea was crazy. But then, if I was correct in my assumptions, so was the person who was responsible for all this.

“Dammit,” Troy swore, even as he released me. I hurried toward Ethan and the bowing policeman.

“I don’t know what’s going on here,” I began. “But you need to release him right this—”

Anything else I’d been about to say flew from my brain as Jenkins pulled his cap off and waves of bleach blonde hair tumbled out, falling to his shoulders. “Get all that, Helen?”

Everybody glanced at the second officer, who gave a quick thumbs up. I was still confused, but first things first.

Before I could insist again that he release Ethan, Troy came barreling up to us, Brandon hot on his heels.

“Carrie, what the hell do you think you’re doing?” he said.

What. The. Actual. Fuck?

 to be continued

Go see what's up with the other Briefers!

Cia Nordwell




No comments:

Post a Comment