Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Wednesday Briefs: Bad Karma and the Family Plan #62 (13.1)

 Good morning and Happy Hump Day! If it's Wednesday, then it must be time for more flash fiction from the Wednesday Briefers! We're a group of authors who bring you our finest flash fiction every week, 500 to 1000 words, inspired by one of our prompts.

Things took an ugly turn when Ethan's obnoxious brother was served with divorce papers while they were all at breakfast. Can things get worse? See what's going on in this week's chapter of Bad Karma and the Family Plan. Don't forget to stop by and visit the other Briefers, see what's going on with them. Their links follow my tale! Enjoy!

Bad Karma and the Family Plan #62 (13.1)

Once the process server had put us in her rearview mirror and gone on her merry way, Joey sat looking rather stupidly at the documents in his hand in what I imagine was stunned disbelief. Nobody said anything. Probably because nobody wanted to kick a man when he was down. At least we had some kind of explanation for Heather’s disappearance. Nothing sinister, or even really surprising. She’d left his dumb ass and filed for divorce. Who could blame her? Although I still suspected that the minister’s new leaf he’d so recently turned had something to do with that too.

Moments later, the parents returned and took their seats at the table once more.

“Who was that lady I saw standing here?” Joseph Senior asked. “She didn’t stay very long did she?”

“Just long enough to serve Joey with papers and get Troy’s autograph,” Sarah supplied with a grin she didn’t bother to conceal.

The father turned his piercing gaze upon his older son, who was squirming uncomfortably in his seat. I suspected he would have hightailed it out of there except for the fact he’d ridden with his parents and didn’t have the keys to their car, or money for a cab. So he was enforced to endure whatever his dad chose to dish out.

We were all staring at the minister by now, probably wondering how he would handle the news. It occurred to me, perhaps belatedly, that if there really were something between him and his daughter-in-law, this could be the cue for even more heartache. If he had a thing for her, or if they’d ever had a thing, maybe he would leave his wife for her? Or something like that.

Or perhaps I’d seen too many soap operas.

The waitress arrived with the check at that moment. Reverend Thorne handed her his credit card. Once she’d walked away, he looked at his son. “At least now you know,” was all he said. Within minutes, everything was paid for, and everyone had shuffled off to the parking lot.

I felt guilty when I saw our tails sitting in their cars, keeping an eye on us. I remembered having to endure such tedious duty, and being unable to eat anything other than the crap we brought with us. The least I could have done was order them something. Seeing my consternation, Ethan leaned in to me and murmured for my ear only, “I arranged to have something sent out while we were eating.”

He’s always so thoughtful. That alleviated my guilt. We all got into our respective vehicles and headed back toward the Thorne residence. However, when we got to the highway, we found ourselves a bored highway worker with a sign that said Detour, and we were forced to get off onto a smaller road with a lower speed limit. Oh well, that would give us a little extra time without Joey’s company.

“Isn’t Joey’s wife the one who works for Joe?” Uncle Benny asked from the back seat of our rental car. Once again, Troy had offered to chauffeur Sarah and little Alex, and Ethan’s sister hadn’t hesitated to take him up on his offer.

“She did, but I don’t think she does now,” Ethan said.

“What’s their relationship?”

Ethan’s uncle was very observant, much like his nephew. Ethan, that is, not Joey. I doubted Maureen had said anything to her brother on the subject, probably would have considered it disloyal. But some things couldn’t be ignored.

“Dad and Heather?” Ethan shrugged. “I think she fed his ego. Made him feel young again or something like that. I’d call it the seven year itch, but he and Mom have been married a lot longer than that.”

“Is she a pretty girl?” Benny wondered.

Ethan glanced toward me. Now it was my turn to shrug. “Not my type,” I commented, producing a snort from Benny and a smile from Ethan.

“I’d be worried if she were,” Ethan quipped. “Honestly, though, I remember the first time I saw her, I did think she was pretty, and I wondered why she was with Joey. Especially when he didn’t seem overly excited about her. But then I got to know her better, and I saw how ugly her personality really was. I always had the feeling Dad had somehow arranged their marriage, but I can’t prove it.”

Benny whistled softly. “Wow, what a tangled web.”

Ethan and I both nodded our agreement. 

“You know I’m very grateful that your parents have agreed to our staying there,” Benny said after a moment of silence. “Especially Joe. He’s certainly come around, and for that I thank—”

A sudden loud pop caught our attention. We were traveling behind Troy’s car, and he was following Ethan’s parents, with our tail bringing up the rear. But now I saw the minister swerving of the road. Then another loud pop as Troy followed suit.

And then I saw what the problem was as we too ran over the metal spikes that lay across the road and veered off the highway into the grass with a jarring thud.

to be continued

Now go see what's going on with the other Briefers!

Cia Nordwell


No comments:

Post a Comment