Wednesday, June 15, 2022

Wednesday Briefs: Rose and Thorne 6 #27 (6.2)

Good morning and Happy Hump Day! If it's Wednesday, then it must be time for more flash fiction from the Wednesday Briefers! We're a group of authors who bring you our finest flash fiction every week, 500 to 1000 words, inspired by one of our prompts.

What was originally supposed to be Vinnie and Ethan flying with Uncle Benny to Atlanta has become an actual road trip that includes Ethan's sister and her child. See what's going on in this week's chapter of Rose and Thorne. Don't forget to see what the other Briefers are up to. Their links follow my tale! Enjoy!

Rose and Thorne 6 #27 (6.2)

Ethan turned up the heater in the car as we left the gas station, out of deference to his passengers, I knew. Not that he wouldn’t have done it for me, but I normally didn’t complain about the cold.  The current temperature was only about thirty-five degrees, so pretty chilly for Virginia. I knew it wouldn’t feel so bad once we were on the road and the sun had a real chance to warm everything up. Back in Joliet, we’d consider this a heat wave, especially for February, but Southerners weren’t used to the same frigid temps I’d had to endure growing up. Snow for them was a freak occurrence, one they were seldom prepared for. But both states had one thing in common… motor vehicle operators who had no idea how to handle themselves in the snow. I guess that just goes to show that bad drivers can be found just about anywhere.

To be honest, this whole situation felt completely surreal. Ethan’s sister, uncle, and nephew in the back seat, laughing and chatting and watching little Alex eat his breakfast.  Ethan and I sitting up front, like the old married couple we almost were. We were lucky to have borrowed a car seat from Laverne when we knew Alex was coming, since the Commonwealth of Virginia required all children below the age of seven be properly secured in either a child safety seat or a booster seat. He seemed content to eat his chicken and biscuit. When he was done, and his mother had cleaned him up, she gave him some kind of tablet, to my amazement. Children were learning how to operate computers almost from birth it seemed. No wonder they were so good at it. Alex certainly seemed to enjoy playing with his.

By mutual consent, the subject of the baby daddy was not brought up. I don’t think any of us were prepared to have that particular discussion. Instead, it was happy memories of more innocent times. Benny had been a big part of their lives once he’d gotten out of prison. I imagine Joseph Thorne saw an opportunity to portray himself as a charitable benefactor in the rehabilitation of his brother-in-law. You know, good Christian and all that. Up until the moment when he realized Benny was gay and cast him out. Because that’s what good Christians do.

Sorry, sore subject with me. I shouldn’t paint all Christians with that brush. That’s no better than their open homophobia. In this case, it was the minister just being a bigot, end of story.

They spoke to one another in such loving and familiar terms that my heart swelled just to listen to them. Once upon a time, I might have been bitter and somewhat envious of their obvious closeness and the love they all shared. But having found Ethan, I’d come to know a love I’d never thought possible, and I no longer felt excluded, as I once had. An outsider living on the periphery of everyone else’s existence. I was really and truly loved, and that was the most wonderful feeling in the world.

I couldn’t help but wonder what odd twist of fate had brought us all together, here and now, when our paths had seemed to be set on separate courses but had now converged. Coincidence, of course. I wasn’t so much concerned with the brief appearance of Sarah’s ex as I was with what was going on with Benny. First the fire alarm at the hotel, then the attempt on his life, which I had to assume was targeted at Benny and not just random happenstance. Then the threat at the airport which had necessitated this road trip. Was Benny’s ex really that concerned with the testimony he was about to give, or was there something else going on here that we didn’t fully understand. Either way, I knew we had to be particularly vigilant.

 to be continued

Now go see what's up with the other Briefers!

Cia Nordwell

J Ray Lamb

 




No comments:

Post a Comment