Wednesday, October 13, 2021

Wednesday Briefs: An Unholy Alliance #20 (5.4)

 Good morning and Happy Hump Day ! If it's Wednesday, then it must be time for more flash fiction from the Wednesday Briefers! We're a group of authors who bring you our finest flash fiction every week, 500 to 1000 words, inspired by one of our prompts.  

After the unpleasant encounter with the rednecks, Charlemagne arrives at last at his destination. See what's going on in this week's chapter of An Unholy Alliance. Don't forget to visit the other Briefers and see what's up with them. Their links follow my tale! Enjoy!

An Unholy Alliance #20 (5.4)

As I approached the front door, I found myself assailed by an unaccustomed feeling of nervousness, waves of butterflies pirouetting inside my stomach. Could it be the knowledge that my quest might finally be reaching an end? Or maybe I feared the opposite. Would I learn something I didn’t want to know? What was of greater concern to me, bad news or no news at all?

Either way, I intended to find out. I’d come too far to back down now.

Stop being such an infant and knock on the door already.

How ridiculous was this scenario? The big bad vampire afraid of mere words? I took a deep breath, reminded myself that I could do anything I set my mind to, and raised my hand to knock upon the door… which opened unexpectedly before I’d even touched it.

“Welcome, welcome!” a musical voice greeted me. “Please, won’t you come in?” The petite figure who stood in the doorway turned, not waiting for a response. I followed her inside without hesitation, as my senses informed me that no one else lurked within. I wondered how she could possibly have known I was there. Unless she’d been looking for me, which was entirely possible. Casey had probably informed her that I would waste no time in contacting her, which was very true, of course.

“I’m Isabella, but I’m sure you knew that,” she continued. Pausing, she turned to regard me over one shoulder. “What should I call you?”

“Charlemagne would be fine,” I replied.

“That’s a lovely name.” Her smile completely lit up her face. She virtually glowed from within. I’d never met anyone who possessed such a quality. I must confess, I found her persona a little unnerving, but I quickly recovered my equanimity.

My first impression of Isabella was that of a fairy who had fallen to Earth… assuming I believed in such things, which I didn’t. She might have been slightly over five foot in height and well-curved. She wore a moss green tunic over pink leggings. A silver ankh hung about her neck. Her auburn hair flowed in waves to the middle of her back, strands of which were tinted in various pastel shades. The overall effect was stunning and only served to reinforce the image of her as a fairy or sprite.

She led me into her small but charming kitchen and opened the refrigerator door. I was surprised to see a variety of bottles of beer, including pale ale, gose, and stout, in various flavors. “I thought we could sit in the garden while we talked. What can I offer you?”

I chose a Mexican hot chocolate coffee stout, and she selected a raspberry gose for herself, and then I followed her through her back door and into the beautiful garden that ringed her home. Being no expert on flora, I couldn’t have said what most of the flowers were, other than the tall sunflowers whose large heads craned hungrily toward the sun, but I did recognize most of them as being wildflowers. I hadn’t thought people filled their gardens with those, they just grew randomly by the side of the road, but what did I know? I thought I spotted some purple tulips, so dark they were almost black, but I would have thought their growing season was long over.

Two cast iron benches adorned with antique roses faced each other in the middle of this oasis of beauty. An incongruous orange mass lay on one bench, seeming out of place, but as we neared, the lump resolved itself into a large orange tabby. The cat hissed at the sight of me, although I made no move to approach the animal. Isabella scooped it up into her arms, careful not to spill her beer. “Buddy!” she scolded him in an infinitely patient tone. “Be nice to Charlemagne. He’s our guest.”

Buddy seemed less than impressed with this explanation and proceeded to give me the evil eye as Isabella settled herself and her companion on one bench, indicating the other with a nod. “Please, make yourself comfortable.”

I obliged, but kept a wary eye on the feline all the same. I sipped my beer to keep from blurting out the questions uppermost in my mind, as that would have been rude, and I was loath to disrespect my charming hostess in such a way. I considered myself fortunate to have been granted some of her time and didn’t want to do anything that might jeopardize my access to the information she had to impart. Which had nothing to do with her or her beautiful garden.

I know, sometimes I can be self-delusional.

In my defense, it had been a long time since I’d regarded people as anything other than as dietary requirements. Or, in the case of my brothers, as competition. For what? I couldn’t say. Dominique had no love for anyone but herself, but there were times when she hid that fact well. Mama Lil had been the only person who could keep me in touch with my own humanity, but she’d been dead for a century, a loss I still felt keenly.

If I was going to be honest with myself, I supposed Casey had been the first one since Mama Lil who had been able to break through my natural reserve with her great kindness and compassion. I could live with that. But why did Fate seem so determined that I run into Tyrone Jackson on a regular basis? And why did he seem so determined on being my friend? I would have to disavow him of that train of thought. Not that I would ever see him again.

You said that last time.

Stupid inner voice.

 to be continued

Now see what the other Briefers are up to!

Cia Nordwell

J Ray Lamb

 


No comments:

Post a Comment