Wednesday, September 2, 2020

Wednesday Briefs: Super Trooper #32 (7.2)

Good morning and Happy Hump Day! If it's Wednesday, then it must be time for more flash fiction from the Wednesday Briefers! We're a group of authors who bring you our finest flash fiction every week, 500 to 1000 words, inspired by one of our prompts.

Evan and Chan have a night out at Partners, along with Roy and Dustin. See what's going on with them in this week's chapter of Super Trooper. Don't forget to visit the other Briefers and see what's up with them! Their links follow my tale! Enjoy!

Super Trooper #32 (7.2)


“You two already look like an old married couple,” Dustin teased Chan. The four men had devoured several baskets of spicy chicken wings and onion rings, washing everything down with ice cold draft beer. Evan and Roy had become embroiled in a debate—something about firearms—which neither Dustin nor Chan could follow, so Dustin had scooted his chair next to Chan so they could talk without yelling.

Chan felt his cheeks warm, but in a pleased way, at Dustin’s words. He and Dustin were close in age, and he suspected there was an even larger age gap between Dustin and Roy than the one that existed between Evan and himself. Even so, they got on very well together, much as he and Evan did.

“You and Roy do too,” Chan returned the compliment.

Dustin grinned widely. “He’s an ornery old cuss sometimes,” he admitted with a wink. “But I think I’ll keep him.”

Chan couldn’t help but laugh. “How long have you been living together?”

“Almost a year, I think. Hey Roy,” he hollered at his partner. When that didn’t get his attention, he said, “Hey old man!”

Roy finished whatever he’d been saying to Evan before turning his focus to Dustin, eyebrows raised. “You need something, little boy?” he asked, clearly tongue-in-cheek, his eyes glinting with merriment despite his tone. “You want I should change your diapers or get you a bottle? You seem to have reverted to being a baby and forgotten your manners.”

In response, Dustin stuck out his tongue.

“Ah, but do you know how to use that?” Roy quipped, never missing a step.

“Hell yeah, I know how to use that, old timer. Wanna go into the back room so I can show you?”

Chan had been told about Partners’ infamous back rooms where men (or women) could spend some intimate time together in privacy. And yes, that was another way of saying they could have sex. Evan had explained about the back rooms one night when Chan noticed a steady stream of traffic heading in and out, and he’d wondered aloud what was going on. Evan had also let him know that he was not inclined to use those rooms himself, no offense to those who did, but he preferred to have hook-ups somewhere a little more sanitary. Chan had seconded the idea. He’d rather be in Evan’s large bed than anything that might be in those rooms.

“No, can’t say as I do,” Roy responded. “So, what exactly did you want? I assume there was a point in your interrupting our conversation?”

Chan glanced at Evan, who was also smiling. They both found the relationship between Roy and Dustin to be amusing but also very affectionate and tight-knit. Evan mouthed I love you. Chan felt his heart expand at the sight.

“How long we been knocking boots now?” Dustin asked. “Pert near a year, isn’t it?”

“You mean how long ago did I first decide to put up with your punk ass?” Roy said. “Let me think. I guess that sounds about right. A whole year? Wow.  I deserve a medal for that, you know. Also hazard pay.”

“Don’t forget training pay,” Evan added helpfully. Chan had to stifle a laugh.

“And I deserve a larger salary,” Dustin said, completely unfazed. “I’m the best deputy you’ve ever had and you know it.”

Roy shook his head and rolled his eyes. “Dude, you’re the only deputy I’ve ever had. Which also makes you the worst, if you look at it like that.”

“And the cutest,” Dustin added. “And the sexiest.”

That did it. Chan couldn’t hold back his laughter, and neither could Evan, much less Roy.

 When everyone finally, calmed down, Roy said, “April 10th. Like I would forget our anniversary? I think you know me better than that.”

While Dustin continued to protest that he knew no such thing, Chan could tell he was more than pleased with how quickly Roy had come up with the date. Chan had no doubt Dustin remembered it himself and had just been testing his lover.

The two lawmen returned to their shop talk, as a grinning Dustin turned back to Chan. “Best year of my life,” he confided. “Roy’s the best thing that ever happened to me, to be honest.”

Chan could understand that. He felt the same way about Evan. He couldn’t help but think about the other couple who made up their group—Lee and Marshall. They hadn’t been able to join them that evening, but he enjoyed hanging out with them as well.

“Lee and Marshall are married, are they not?” he asked.

Dustin nodded. “Yep. Me and Roy went to the wedding. Course we weren’t together then.”

“You weren’t?” Chan asked curiously.

“Nope. In fact, I met Lee and Marshall the same night I met Roy, but Roy and me didn’t exactly hit it off.” He glanced down at the table, maybe a little embarrassed for some reason Chan couldn’t fathom.
Dustin glanced back up again. “Long story short, I had a thing for Marshall and I was a brat about it, even when he made it clear he wasn’t interested. I ended up going on a gay cruise with my cousin. You know, Denver, you met him.”

Chan remembered. “Yes, he’s a very nice person.”

“Very nice,” Dustin agreed. He picked up his beer and took a sip, as if to busy his hands. “I almost ruined the cruise. Right after we got back is when they got hitched, and I went with Denver. After that I met someone who was pure poison and almost ruined my life. Roy straightened me out, and we kinda meshed, you know? Been with him ever since.”

Such a romantic story, with a great ending.

He glanced up to find Roy standing behind Dustin, arms wrapped around his neck. “C’mon, let’s do a little dancing.”

Once they’d headed to the dance floor, Evan scooted his chair closer. “Alone at last,” he whispered.

to be continued

Now see what's up with the other Briefers!






No comments:

Post a Comment