Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Wednesday Briefs: Super Trooper #24 (4.4)

Good morning and Happy Hump Day! If it's Wednesday, then it must be time for more flash fiction from the Wednesday Briefers! We're a group of authors who bring you our finest flash fiction every week, 500 to 1000 words, inspired by one of our prompts.

When Evan is late for their anniversary date, Chan fears the worst. Until Evan finally arrives and he learns what has happened to delay him. See what's going on in this week's chapter of Super Trooper. Don't forget to visit the other Briefers and see what's up with them! Their links follow my tale! Enjoy!


Super Trooper #24 (4.4)


“I’m fine, just fine,” Evan continued to assure him, all the way up the sidewalk and into Chan’s apartment. Even’s voice was low and soothing. He gently stroked Chan’s arm as Chan fumbled with the key before finally pushing open his door. He flipped on the light and closed the door behind them before burying his face against Evan’s chest, mindful of his injury.

Finally he drew back and gazed up at him, as if to reassure himself Evan was really there and not seriously injured. He took a deep breath. “I’m sorry,” he apologized. “I… I was just concerned.”

“No need to apologize,” Evan said. “I wanted to call or text, to let you know I’d be late, but they had me busy in the ER, what with X-rays and all.”

“You had an X-ray?” Chan’s eyes grew wide. “Come, sit down. Please.” He waved him toward the sofa, as if the sheer action of standing would make whatever happened worse. Evan took a seat, then beckoned Chan to him. He found himself sitting on Evan’s lap, which was a first for them, but felt so right.

Chan forced himself to calm down as Evan held him against him with his good arm.

“It’s nothing serious, just a sprain. Not even a bad sprain. The doctor said I was very lucky that it’s just a Grade I sprain. It could have been a lot worse.”

“Worse than this?” Chan blanched.

“A lot worse,” Evan confirmed. “There could have been a lot more damage, and maybe even surgery.”

“No, I don’t need surgery,” he hastily added as Chan gazed at him wide-eyed again. “The doctor said I just need a couple of days rest. Ice up the wrist for twenty or thirty minutes every three to four hours until the pain’s gone. And keep it elevated as often as possible. He gave me a scrip for pain pills with an anti-inflammatory.”

“Do you have the pills with you?” Chan asked.

“I haven’t had it filled yet, I came straight here to you.” Evan’s answer went straight to Chan’s heart, filling it completely. He’d thought of Chan first, putting him before his own needs.

“How can you drive? Should you be driving? Doesn’t it hurt? How can you possibly work?” The questions tumbled from Chan, one after another.

“I’m not going to work,” Evan said. “I’m taking a couple of days off.”

“You should stay here,” Chan said without hesitation. “Stay here and I will take care of you.”

Now it was Evan’s turn to stare at Chan, open-mouthed.

“I’m not taking no for an answer,” Chan continued, although Evan hadn’t put up any objection, which had to be a good sign. “I’ll call the office in the morning. I am due some time off, I seldom take any. But first, we should get your prescription filled.” He nodded at Evan with growing confidence. “But I will drive.”

There was a moment of silence between them as Chan began to wonder if he’d overstepped the bounds of their relationship. And then he saw Evan smile, and he knew everything was going to be just fine.

“You would do that… for me?”

Chan couldn’t help but notice the slight insecurity in Evan’s voice. Obviously no one had ever taken care of him before. Chan’s heart ached for his lover, and again he wondered what had happened to him that made him believe himself to be so unworthy of love.

“I would do anything for you,” Chan said quietly. “We can get your pills and get dinner as well, and bring it back here.”

“Our anniversary,” Evan said. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to ruin our plans—”

Chan stopped Evan’s words with a kiss, and for a long moment nothing else was said. Finally, Chan drew back and said, “It’s still our anniversary, and we’re together. That’s what counts. Let’s go, okay?”

“Okay,” Evan acquiesced.

Chan reluctantly rose from Evan’s lap, so they could go. He paused at the door, remembering what he’d meant to ask. “How did that happen?” He gestured toward Evan’s bandage.

“I got a call to investigate an abandoned vehicle,” Evan said. “Turns out this guy kidnapped his ex and had her locked in his trunk. He intended to kill her and bury her body. He was digging the hole when I came by. One thing led to another, and he managed to stomp on my gun hand.”

Chan thought his heart would stop. He had never thought to wonder about how dangerous Evan’s job was. Now he had a better idea, and the thought was terrifying.

“I won’t lie and tell you this shit never happens.” Evan softly stroked Chan’s cheek, locking their gazes. “And I won’t tell you I’m never in danger, ‘cause sometimes I am. But you have to know that I’m a very careful man, and I work with some great people. Thanks to my back-up, we caught the guy and his ex is fine, and he’s going to prison for a long long time. Please don’t worry, okay?”

“I trust you,” Chan said. “I’ll try not to worry, but I can be concerned, okay? I care about what happens to you. Nothing will change that.”

“And I care about what happens to you.”

There was that beautiful smile again. And just like that they were in sync once more. And, more importantly, Chan was about to get Evan to himself for two whole days.

He would make sure they were the best two days ever.

to be continued

Now go see what's up with the other Briefers!




No comments:

Post a Comment