Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Wednesday Briefs: The Sheriff #45 (11.3)

Good morning and Happy Hump Day! If it's Wednesday, then it must be time for more flash fiction from the Wednesday Briefers! We're a group of authors who bring you our finest flash fiction every week, 500 to 1000 words, inspired by one of our prompts.

Things are heating up between Roy and Dustin. Looks like they're out in the open now with Lee and Marshall. See what's going on in this week's episode of The Sheriff. Don't forget to visit the other Briefers and see what they're up to! Their links follow my tale!

The Sheriff #45 (11.3)

Roy released Dustin with a contented sigh. “Been wanting to do that for a while,” he admitted.

“Me too,” Dustin agreed.

“So, how you doing?” Roy asked. He opened up the fridge and pulled out two bottles of beer which he handed to Dustin before taking out two more and closing the door. “You feeling okay about tonight? I don’t want you to have any second thoughts about what we’re doing.”

“I don’t,” Dustin insisted. “I just want it to be over, that’s all.”

“I can understand that.” Still holding the beers, Roy circled his arm around Dustin so they could kiss once more, careful not to press the cold bottles against him. “I want that too, believe you me. Just so you know, Lee figured out about us already, hope you don’t mind.”

“It’s cool with me if it’s cool with you.” Dustin gave him a somewhat anxious look which Roy quickly quelled with another kiss.

“They would never judge us, trust me,” he said.

“I do,” Dustin said simply, in a voice that went straight to Roy’s heart. “I don’t know what I’d do without you, Roy. I’d be in over my head with no way out.”

“Things happen, don’t beat yourself up over it,” Roy said. “C’mon, let’s deliver these beers.”
* * * *
The trip back to Tucker Falls went by far too quickly for Dustin’s taste. He wished they could have hung out with Marshall and Lee a lot longer. Or, even better, gone back to Roy’s place and spent the rest of the day in bed. But that wasn’t happening, of course. He had to go in to work, had to face the music and get through what might just prove to be the longest night of his life.

He shifted in Roy’s front seat, pressing his leg against Roy’s in the process.  Roy laid his hand across Dustin’s leg and he relaxed into the sheriff’s warmth.

“Lunch was good,” he said, trying to not think too much about what was coming. “I thought everything went well.”

“Everything went very well,” Roy agreed. “I’m sure we’ll be seeing a lot more of them. They’re my two best friends, you know?”

“I know,” Dustin said. He couldn’t help but warm at the way Roy said we. Made him almost have hope that just maybe they could… He pushed the thought aside, afraid to jinx whatever it was he was thinking.  “So, what’s the plan? You going to wait in the store ‘til close or what?”

“I can’t afford to have anyone see me,” Roy said with what sounded like regret. “Don’t want to take a chance on spooking him, you know? Let him think everything’s going as planned, and when he starts taking stuff out of the storeroom, I’ll be there and I’ll nab him. I’ll radio the sheriff and they can take him in.”

Then what? Then we’ll be done?

Dustin bit back the words that threatened to spill from his lips. If Roy and him were going to be over after he got Jordan locked up, then he didn’t want to know now.

As they approached the parking lot of the computer store, Dustin noticed Denver’s truck was there, but no sign of Kenny’s car. Wonder what that meant.  Oh well, at least he’d have his cousin to talk to. He started to scoot across the seat, but Roy’s hand on his arm held him back. He turned and found himself with a mouth full of sheriff, and for a full minute no words were exchanged. Finally, Roy released him and straightened up behind the wheel.

“I’ll be watching out for you, count on that,” he said, and Dustin thrilled at his words.

“See you later,” he managed to choke out, then hurried out of the truck and into the store.

 to be continued

Now to see what the other Briefers are up to!




No comments:

Post a Comment