Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Wednesday Briefs: Moving Forward #61 (15.2)

Good morning and Happy Hump Day! If it's Wednesday, it must be time for some flash fiction from the Wednesday Briefers! We're a group of authors who bring you our finest flash fiction every week, 500 to 1000 words, inspired by one of our prompts.

As the cruise draws to an end, plans are being made which will effect Marshall and Lee's entire future. How will Roy react to their announcement? Find out in this week's Moving Forward. Don't forget to see what the other Briefers are up to. Their links follow my tale!  Enjoy!

Moving Forward #61 (15.2)


“I think we should tell Roy first,” Lee said once they’d gotten their fill of the hot tub and gone back inside their cabin. “I think he deserves to know before anyone else, what do you think?”

They’d dried themselves off with the generous towels the cruise line provided and sat together on the bed, sipping more Prosecco.

“I think you’re right,” Marshall agreed.

 Lee reached for his hand and squeezed it. “No time like the present. Assuming we can get a signal.”  He released Marshall’s hand and reached for his phone on the bedside table.  “He’s two hours behind us, timewise. I’m sure he’s still up.” He placed the call on speaker and punched in Roy’s number. 

Marshall was relieved to hear it ring. That was a start, anyway.

Roy picked up quickly. “Lee? Everything all right?”

Lee chuckled. “Everything’s perfect, Roy. Just perfect.”

“Glad to hear it.”

Marshall could hear relief in the sheriff’s voice.

“I didn’t expect to hear from you while you’re on vacation. You’re headed back right about now, aren’t you?”

“We are,” Lee confirmed. “I have you on speakerphone, Roy, and I have Marshall right here.”

“Hey Marshall.”

“Hi Roy.”

“You guys having a good time?”

“Everything is so perfect… you have to try it sometime,” Marshall said with enthusiasm. “Come with us next time.”

“I think I just might, if I find someone I want to go with. You know the old adage. Two’s company…” 
He didn’t finish the thought, but Marshall understood what he meant.

“I want what you guys have,” Roy said frankly. “You’re like the most perfect couple I know. Seriously.”

“Appreciate you saying that, Roy.” Lee smiled at Marshall, instilling him with even greater confidence. “How’s everything at home?”

“Same old same old. Nothing new. Been to Partners once or twice. The guys said to say hello if I talked to you.”

“That’s nice of them.” Lee cleared his throat. “The reason we called… well, other than to say hello and see how you’re doing… is to give you some news. Are you sitting down?”

“Uh oh, this sounds serious. Yeah, sitting down now. What’s up? Is something wrong?”

“Not at all, in fact the opposite. We wanted you to be the first to know… I asked Marshall to marry me.”

A moment of silence followed Lee’s statement. Marshall could imagine what thoughts were flying through Roy’s mind. Probably many of the same ones he’d had initially when Lee had popped the question.

“Is that possible… I mean….” Roy seemed at a loss for words. Lee quickly jumped in to fill in the gaps.

“It won’t be official, no, but it’ll be for us. We want a ceremony with our friends, exchange rings and vows, and make our commitment to each other.”

“I think that’s a great idea, congratulations to you both,” Roy said sincerely. Marshall breathed a soft sigh of relief. He hadn’t realized how worried he’d been about Roy’s reaction to their news. He should have known better.

“Do you have a date in mind?” Roy asked.

Lee and Marshall exchanged glances. They hadn’t exactly gotten that far.

“Not really. I thought we’d stop in Galveston and look for rings. Probably the sooner the better, don’t you think?” He looked to Marshall for confirmation, and Marshall nodded his agreement.

“Yeah,” Lee repeated, “the sooner the better.”

“All right then. You’ll be back tomorrow, right? Late morning, early afternoon?”

“Something like that.”

“Guess I’ll see you both then. I have to let you go, got a few things to do. Congratulations again, I’ll talk at you when you get here.” He hung up before either Marshall or Lee could get out a good-bye.

“What’s he up to?” Marshall wondered.

Lee shrugged. “Maybe he’s got a hot date? Or maybe someone in the town needs him for something?”

Marshall hoped that was all it was. Guess he’d find out the next day when they returned to Burnham.

to be continued

Now see what the other Briefers are up to!



No comments:

Post a Comment