Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Wednesday Briefs: Moving Forward #39 (9.2)

Good morning and Happy Hump Day! If it's Wednesday, then it must be time for some flash fiction from the Wednesday Briefers! We're a group of authors who bring you our finest flash fiction, from 500 to 1000 words, inspired by one of our prompts.

This week, as Denver comes to check on Marshall and Lee, they discuss the situation, and speculate on who did it. See what they think in this week's episode of Moving Forward. Then don't forget to visit the other Briefers and see what they're up to! Their links follow my tale! Enjoy!

Moving Forward #39 (9.2)


“Worried about us? Why?” Marshall asked in surprise.

“We’re both fine,” Lee assured him. “We just heard that one of the guests was badly injured by someone. Were you afraid the guy who got hurt might be either one of us?”

“I was worried about that, yeah,” Denver admitted. He patted Marshall’s leg, as if to reassure himself he was really fine. Marshall couldn’t help but notice the concern in his expression.

Lee frowned. “Do you have any idea who might have done this?” The unspoken name hung in the air between them.

Denver sighed loudly. “No, not really. But I don’t know where Dustin got to, and dammit,  knowing his temper… and knowing he’s probably upset with you guys… Hell, after what you told me, Lee, I just don’t know what he’s capable of, you know?”

“I know.” Lee’s voice was somber.

“Sorry if I overreacted, I was just afraid… Did you have a good day?”

“We did a little sightseeing ,” Marshall said, “took a tour on an excursion boat.”

“I think I read about that in the ship brochure. Was it fun?” Denver asked.

“It was lots of fun. I should tell you, though, Dustin was there too.”

“Damn, he wasn’t harassing you, was he?” Denver sounded anxious.

“Never came near us,” Lee assured him. “Didn’t you say he was with someone, Marshall?”

“Yeah, he was. Some guy with reddish hair. Kind of like mine.” Until he said the words, he hadn’t realized the guy kind of resembled him, and he couldn’t help but wonder if that was the attraction for Denver. If so, that was just wrong, as well as disturbing. From Lee’s frown, the thought had just crossed his mind too.

“Could be just a coincidence,” Denver suggested.

“It better be,” Lee said, but he didn’t really sound convinced.

“Have you tried calling him?” Marshall asked.

“Yeah, more than once, but he doesn’t answer.” He ran a hand anxiously through his hair. “Maybe I should head to the infirmary to make sure that’s not him down there.”

“Wouldn’t they have called you if it was?” Lee pointed out. “I assume they know who the guy is, and if it was Dustin, they’d know you share a cabin.”

“Yeah, you’re probably right. He’s probably hanging out with that guy you saw him with, and being the knucklehead he is, he didn’t think to call me. It probably didn’t occur to him that maybe I’d be worried about him.”

“They looked pretty cozy,” Marshall offered. “They’ve probably forgotten all about everyone else.” Granted, that was immature of Dustin, but that wasn’t surprising at all, was it?

“Yeah, you’re probably right,” Denver agreed. “He’s old enough to take care of himself. I warned him when he said he wanted to come along on this cruise that I wasn’t going to be his babysitter or his chaperone, and he was okay with that. I guess he took me at my word.”

“He could still practice common courtesy. You want a drink?” Lee offered. He rose from the bed, moving toward the cart with the bottles.

“Yeah, that sounds good.”

“Marshall?”

Marshall shook his head. He wasn’t really in the mood.

Lee poured bourbon into two glasses, handing one to Denver. Denver bolted it in one quick gulp.

“Thanks, I needed that,” he said, wiping his hand across his mouth. “I think I’m going back to the cabin. You guys got plans for tomorrow?”

“They’ve got this tour of Blackbeard’s Castle,” Marshall said. “We’re going on that, since it’s our last day in port.”

“You’re welcome to join us,” Lee said. “Who knows, maybe Dustin will turn up there too?” His tone was light, but Marshall had the feeling that Lee wasn’t exactly pleased at the prospect of Dustin showing up on another outing. Once might be coincidental, twice not so much. Especially in light of the fact he’d found himself a guy who somewhat resembled Marshall. Sounded like someone might still be obsessed, which was a creepy thought.

“You know, I might just do that. Maybe hang out by the pool after. Have you done that yet?”

“No, and that’s something we’ve been meaning to do,” Lee said. “After walking around the island, that might be a good way to relax before dinner.”

“Sounds good to me,” Marshall said. “Especially if it means seeing you in your new swim suit.” He waggled his eyebrows suggestively at Lee.

“Someone has a one-track mind.” Lee laughed.

“You complaining?”

“Not on your life.” He leaned toward Marshall and they lightly kissed.

Denver rose. “I think that’s my cue to go. No offense fellows, but I’m sure you don’t want an audience anyway.”

Lee got to his feet also. “I’m sure we don’t. Why don’t I text you in the morning and let you know what time we’re going on the tour? We can meet up or something, maybe have breakfast together?”

“I’d like that. ‘Night, guys, see you later.” He exited quickly. Lee picked up the empty glasses and set them on the cart. “Did you want to do any more hot tubbing or anything?”

“Anything sounds good to me,” Marshall purred as he rubbed against Lee suggestively.

to be continued

Now go see what the other Briefers are up to!



1 comment: